Monday, May 10, 2010

A Foray Into Forgiveness: Seeing Your Sin



By Rev. William Dohle

“...he who has been forgiven little loves little.” Luke 7:47b

In the April Issue of Vanity Fair, Mr. John Heilpern interviews one of the most public faces of Christianity today. A pastor known the world around through his books and television broadcast. The inventor of what is now called the “Prosperity Gospel”, a man by the name of Joel Osteen.

In his article, Heilpern asks quite some tough questions of Mr. Osteen, including “Do you drink?”, “How is God helping you succeed in life?”, and “Were you called to follow in your father’s footsteps?” Heilbern does, in my opinion, a very good job interviewing Osteen in the space provided by the magazine. You can read the article here.

Osteen gives the typical variety of answers to them, showing that he is good at public relations as well as making millions of dollars.

But there was one question Heilpern asked that seemed to make Osteen flinch. He asked him: “Have you ever sinned?”

Here’s what the article said:
“‘Oh sure,’ [Joel Osteen] answered surprisingly. ‘I’m sure I have. I mean, I think we’ve all sinned, so I can’t say that I’ve never...’ He looked suddenly bashful. ‘I’ve never done anything you’d call ‘terrible.’ I haven’t done drugs. Victoria’s the only girl I’ve ever dated.’ Victoria, his glamorous wife of 22 years, is also a pastor. ‘I’m probably squeaky clean–I don’t have to say it,’ Mr. Osteen added.”

Squeaky clean? Really? Really Mr. Osteen?

Are you not captive to sin? Can you really free yourself? Are you familiar with the verse from 1 John that says: “If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, God who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make God out to be a liar, and his Word has no place in our lives.” (1 John 1:8-10)

So... squeaky clean? Is that a good answer to the question: “Have you sinned?”

I know what my answer would be. “You bet I have! Right when I woke up this morning and forgot to thank God for the beautiful morning. I sinned as I stared out the window and compared myself with my neighbor next door. I sinned as I drove to work and that certain driver cut me off. I sinned when I didn’t keep praying all day but instead forgot about God for a time. Maybe the better question to ask would be...when have I NOT sinned?”

I know I am NOT squeaky clean. Not at all! Even my good deeds are dirty rags to God. I have sinned against God in word and deed, by what I have done and what I have not done! I need God’s forgiveness more than anything! I need His grace! I don’t need him to tell me how clean I already am, I need him to wash me clean himself! I need Christ! And I need him every day.

In his life on earth, Jesus encountered many people. Among them was a sinful woman who, while Jesus was sitting at dinner with the Pharisees, came and poured perfume on Jesus feet and wiped them with her hair. The disciples were appauled, but Jesus said:

“Do you see this woman? I came into your house. You did not give me any water for my feet, but she wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. You did not give me a kiss, but this woman from the time I netered has not stopped kissing my feet. You did not put oil on my head, but she has poured perfume on my feet. Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven, for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little.”(Luke 7:44-47)

May we be like the woman at Jesus feet, understanding how deeply tainted with sin we truly are, but knowing that Jesus loves us enough to forgive us for anything and wipe us clean through his blood. May Christ make us, not squeaky clean, but perfectly clean through his death and resurrection. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment