Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Interlude... Preparing for the Summer...


Dear Devotional Friends,

Summer is a season for projects. A season to finish things we’ve put off doing and going places we’ve put off going. It’s a relaxing season for me at least and provides an opportunity to do things that, through the rest of the year, are impossible given our busy schedules.

This summer I pondered a question. What could I do that would make this summer stand out, give me a sense of accomplishment, and enliven and deepen my faith? I pondered many things...until I came up with this.

This summer I’ll tackle books of the Bible I’ve never really read closely before!

I wanted to choose something simple...yet challenging. Something from both the Old Testament and the New and would together span the summer months.

Thus the Holy Spirit led me to choose these two books. John’s first letter in the New Testament(1 John) and the book of Amos. These books are featured in the lectionary we read in church, but are seldom preached on or pondered over. This would provide the frame to engage the summer in.

I invite you on this journey with me. A journey that will take us deeper into Scripture than we’ve been before. A journey Scripture led, where the words written so long ago will help us look differently at the world of today.

Before each week’s devotion, I will give you a link to the Bible chapter of the week. Follow the link. Read the material. Engage scripture. And see if it doesn’t open our eyes and help us see the world as God does.

So... are you ready to open God’s Book of Life??

Pastor Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment