Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Perfectly Human


As he was about to enter Egypt, Abram said to his wife, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live. Say you are my sister so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you." Genesis 12:12-13

Perfectly Human
By Rev. William Dohle

"Whatever am I going to do with you?!"

I can't count how many times I have heard that said to me (Usually by my wife) or have spoken those words (Usually to my children.) In either case there is a sense of shock. A sense of surprise at the actions taken. A feeling of bewilderment.

Usually these words are said after I or my children have done something that doesn't make sense. (At least to the prevailing wisdom in our household.)

"I can't understand why... you left that spill on the ground, didn't take out all the garbage, only cleaned up a part of your room, etc."

Behind these words too is love. Even as frustration might mount, there is love and faith and trust behind these words. There's a relationship that endures far past whatever mysterious behavior there was. And when the moment has passed, the relationship endures.

These words, and that relationship, are behind this curious story from Genesis. Here, right after Abram has heard the promises of God, Abram goes to Egypt. In Egypt, he tells his wife to say she's his sister. Why? Who really knows. Abram seems to have said it to save his own skin, so Pharoah won't see how beautiful she is and take him as his own.

Who knows what she thought, but Sarai complies...and Pharoah does take her into his household, giving Abram "sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels." Sarai has become one of Pharoah's wives...only that's not the way it's suppose to be. God's planning on blessing Abram's family and his plans include Sarai too and not Pharoah.

So...after an unsightly (and unspeakable) illness, Pharoah calls Abram to account, demanding he tell explain why he called Sarai his sister in the first place. Abram doesn't answer...but instead leaves Egypt with everything he had been given.

So...what was Abram thinking? Why did he do such a thing? Was he really afraid of Pharoah? Was he wanting to pawn off his wife on someone? What was behind his decision to enter Egypt in the first place? There were so many other places to go.

We'll never know the answers to those questions, but we do know this. Even after this stupid move, God doesn't abandon Abram. God doesn't leave! Even this action, the giving of his wife to the king of Egypt, doesn't stop God's plans. God has promised that Abram will be a blessing to all nations...and God means it! There's no turning back on God's word!

How often do we think that something we've done has come between us and God? How often do we walk on eggshells in our lives, worried that something will separate us from God and his love for us? I didn't go to church last Sunday... I didn't give as much as I should...I did some unspeakably stupid thing...

Let me tell you, whatever you do,... it won't separate you from God's love! If God can stick with Abram, a character(we shall see) who is far from perfect. And if this man can be the father of all of our faiths, declared righteous not because of what he did but because of who he trusted, the same can be true for us. Stop worrying! Pharoahs come and Pharoahs go. God's promise remains faithful through it all and he has promised that he will never leave you nor forsake you, no matter what you do.

Holy God, I have walked in Abram's shoes and done things that you might shake your head at. But you have promised to be with me, to love and care for me no matter what. Give me boldness that I might be who you have called me to be, confident that your love will cover all my sins, through Jesus Christ my Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment