Monday, March 19, 2012

"I Had A Dream!"


"And afterward, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions." Joel 2:28

"Hey! I had a dream!"
By Rev. William Dohle


Dreams are something else, aren't they?

Dreams can make our hearts beat wildly in our chest as we're being chased down by wild mammoths. They can make us cry out aloud as we struggle with our brothers over some imaginary fight. Dreams can calm our nerves and set our minds at ease or disturb us with how real they are. They can guide our thoughts and actions in the day or make us uncomfortable with the revelations they bring.

In ancient times, dreams always meant something. They always foretold some event or cast something in a new light. They were messages from God, portents of things to come. They were the way God communicated with people.

That is why Jacob, explaining himself to his wives, mentions a dream he had in which God spoke to him, told him how to double-cross their father for double-crossing him, and then told him to flee back to his father, Isaac.

“In breeding season I once had a dream in which I looked up and saw that the male goats mating with the flock were streaked, speckled or spotted. 11 The angel of God said to me in the dream, ‘Jacob.’ I answered, ‘Here I am.’ 12 And he said, ‘Look up and see that all the male goats mating with the flock are streaked, speckled or spotted, for I have seen all that Laban has been doing to you. 13 I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar and where you made a vow to me. Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land.’” Genesis 31:11-13

Rachel and Leah believe Jacob, telling him: "Surely all the wealth that God took away from our father belongs to us and our children. So do whatever God has told you."

But did Jacob REALLY hear God speak to him in a dream? Or was it all made up...a way to calm his wives and explain his behavior without going into so much detail?

One thing we do know is that Jacob, at this point especially, is a deceiver. He has, so far, deceived his father, his brother, and each of his wives. He has been in the business of deceiving his father-in-law, Laban, amassing for himself a wealth that was not his to begin with.

So... did Jacob REALLY hear God in a dream?? Really??

We'll never know the answer to that question...but here's one we might. Does God talk to YOU in YOUR dreams? Does He tell you, whisper to you, remind you of things in your dreams that you might not hear clearly in real life? Does He speak to you, calm your fears, and soothe your soul all while you slumber in your bed?

Most of the time we take a secular approach to dreams. Dreams are just things our subconscious dreams up. They aren't really real. And God doesn't speak through them. But if we take Scripture seriously and we believe the countless people for whom God does speak in dreams than we must conclude:if them...then why not us?

A couple weeks ago I had a dream that I believe was from God. In my dream, I was at Six Flags with a group of youth. Only we weren't having a good time there because we couldn't agree on where to go. One person wanted to go one way. Another wanted to go another. We wound up not going on any of the rides because we didn't want to upset anyone.

After I woke up I told my congregation the dream and explained how God told me: "Stop trying to please everyone!" It's a hard lesson that I am still learning. And sometimes I need a dream to reinforce the point.

This week think hard about your dreams. Think what God might be telling YOU in them? What God might be whispering into your heart? What lessons might God be trying to tell you as you slumber tonight?

Heavenly Father, when your Spirit comes our young men will see visions and our old men will dream dreams. Come to us when we're awake and when we slumber. Teach us your ways and guide us in your paths, for Jesus sake. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment