Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Does "No" Means "Sure!" to God?

"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will..." Ephesians 1:11

Does "No" means "Sure!" to God?
By Rev. William Dohle

I have been a pastor long enough to understand and translate what people tell me into plain-talk.

For instance... Suppose I ask Fred to serve on church council.  He can respond in one of the following ways.  He can...
A.  Tell me to my face:"No, sorry, pastor.  I just don't have time."
B.  Nod his head.  Pretend like he's interested.  Avoid me after talking to me.
C.  Tell me he'll do it...and then change his mind.
D.  Think about it...and then tell me no...or yes.
E.  Immediately respond : "Sure, pastor!  Whatever you say!"

Which of these things do you suppose happens MOST of the time??  I'll tell you... I have rarely had people tell me "no" immediately.  So "A" is out.  Neither have I had many people tell me "yes" immediately.  Usually, depending on what I've asked them to do, it's either D or B.  Either they think about it...and tell me yes or no.  Or they pretend to be interested, but really don't want to do it, and, being afraid of what reaction I might have, they avoid me.

But whatever their answer is.  It IS the final answer.  I don't go back and ask them again.  I don't bug them at home.  I don't try to answer every single one of their problems.  When they say, "Find someone else."  I... find someone else!

So...when I read of God's response to Moses my mouth drops to the floor.

Moses is an example of the worst parishioner...ever!  Not only has he challenged God at every turn with one question after another, never giving God a break.  But then, when finally faced with the decision, Moses makes one final excuse ("I am slow of speech and tongue") before telling God flat out.  "Pardon your servant, Lord.  Please send someone else!"

Moses has officially told God... "No!  I don't want to do this!"

But does God accept Moses' no?  Does he turn away and find someone else?

No!  He doesn't!  If Moses had told me, Pastor Bill, this after church one Sunday, I'd have to drop the issue.  But God doesn't drop it!  He still keeps pushing!

"What about your brother, Aaron the Levite?  I know he can speak well.  He is already on his way to meet you and he will be glad to see you.  You shall speak to him and put words in his mouth; I will help both of you speak and will teach you what to say.  He will speak to the people for you and it will be as if he were your mouth and as if you were God to him." (Ex. 4:14-16)

Once more...God makes a concession for Moses...and doesn't take NO for an answer!

So what does that say to us, today?   Well... it always amazes me how much emphasis we put on "free will" today.  Speak to many pastors and they will eventually get stuck on how God has given us free will and how we are free to choose...never once mentioning Moses who is given NO CHOICE in the matter!  Moses says no!  He says it!  But God doesn't turn away when Moses says no.  Instead, God makes even MORE concessions!  God never gives up!  He never backs down!  God has chosen Moses...and Moses has no say in the matter.

God isn't some wimpy God who backs away whenever we make excuses or say no.  God isn't a God who waits on our initiative or listens closely to our answer to decide what his next move will be.  God acts.  God acts with us in the mix.  He acts with us in the middle.  And, no matter what our response to him at the moment, God still presses on with what God is doing!

I have many friends who went into ministry late in life.  One woman I knew who was in her late 80's when she was ordained as an Episcopal priest.  I asked her one time what made her do this...now...this late in life.  She said: "God just didn't let up.  At every turn in my life, God kept telling me I needed to do this.  He never let go.  And so... here I am!"

My friends, you have no choice in the matter either.  God has chosen you.  Before the creation of the world, God has claimed you.  And you, like Moses, have been sent out into your world to proclaim liberty to the captive...and the year of the Lord's favor!

Why, God?  Why didn't you give up on Moses?  And why don't you ever give up on me?  Thank you for your persistent love through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment