Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Made An Example

Teach the People of Israel all the decrees that God has spoken to them through Moses.  Leviticus 10:11

Made An Example
By Rev. William Dohle

Examples.  You can't help but use them.  Try to explain anything to anyone and you're bound to use an example.

As a pastor, I use tons of examples to explain things...because examples connect.  It's easy to tell people: "You'd better not do it this way..."  or "You'd better try it that way..." but without an example, no one gets it.

But tell them a story and they understand.  Show they an example, and they get it.

That's how examples work.

Perhaps that is the reason why Scripture is full of examples.  More than all the poetry and proverbs and commandments in the Bible, there are examples to explain.

Take the example of Nadab and Abihu, two of Aaron's sons.  One day, we are told, these two sons "took their censers, put hot coals and incense in them, and offered “strange” fire to God—something God had not commanded." (Lev. 10:1)

Now we might think, So what?  Who cares?  What could happen to them?  Well... "Fire blazed out from God and consumed them—they died in God’s presence."(Lev. 10:2)

Wow!  You think!  That's harsh!  And yet, they are remembered as an example.  For, after they die, Moses tells Aaron.
“This is what God meant when he said,
To the one who comes near me,
    I will show myself holy;
Before all the people,
    I will show my glory.”(Lev. 10:3-5)
Nadab and Abihu die...and are used as an example to show, not only the consequences of disobeying God, but what God's holiness means.  God's glory and holiness is mysterious and even dangerous!  Look at what happened to Nadab and Abihu!  Remember their story...and heed their warning.

We all can be used as examples by others.   Stories can be told and retold about us as well, illustraing one thing or another.

But there are two kinds of examples.  One of them is a negative example.  A warning.  "Don't do what this person did..."

The other kind of example is a positive one.  "Look at what this person did.  Strive to be like them..."

I can think of many positive examples...modern and ancient.  I think Martin Luther King Jr. is an example of standing for what is right in a non-violent way.  I think Gandi is too.  I think Ruth is an good example of what to do with your family.  How to love them more than ever.  I think Esther is one who risks her life to save her people.

And the best example, as a Christian, that I can think of, is the example of Jesus the Messiah.  In the stories I read about him, in the tales told about his life, I see the way I want to live my life.  I see the kind of person that I want to be.  

Those are all positive examples...people who did right.

All these examples challenge us too.  They challenge us to be the people God has made us to be.  To stand up for the right.  To be people of integrity.  To be loving, caring, compassionate, and forgiving people. To be the positive examples for the next generation.

May God help us to be just that.  May he strengthen us in our walk with him today that, in the future, others might tell stories of our lives as positive examples of Christ's love.

God of holiness, you show yourself in the all consuming fire of the altar and in the tongues of flame over the disciples heads.  Make us positive examples of your grace, through Christ our Lord.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment