Thursday, September 15, 2016

Unforgivable Sin or Natural Consequence??

"...you disobeyed my command to honor me as holy before their eyes." Numbers 27:14

Unforgivable Sin or Natural Consequence??
By Rev. William Dohle

Have you ever done something so bad that someone else couldn't even be in the same room with you? Something so terrible that whenever they were around you, they avoided you, looked away from you, and, at times, ran the other way?

I have. Or at least I've got this reaction from people. I've been avoided, ignored, looked past, and made to feel like nothing. What I did to them is a mystery. I honestly can't remember the offense. But, still, I have been treated as if I have committed the unforgivable sin.

Sins are strange when you think about them. We talk about forgiveness a lot, especially as Christians. We speak about the power of God's forgiveness to cleanse us from all unrighteousness and help us live a holy life. We confess our sins on Sunday. Hear God's words of forgiveness. And then we leave it there, believing that God will forgive and forget.

We believe God forgives. But when it comes to forgiving others...that's where we struggle. We have a hard time letting go of what others do to us. So we cling to that sin. We hold onto it. We use it against our neighbor whenever we have a chance. All the while claiming we've forgiven them and moved on.

What is it about us that we can't let go of what is done to us? What about us makes us cling to the sins of others, allowing them to color our impression of them and their families?

Do others truly commit unforgivable sins against us? Do we really need others to apologize before we'll forgive them? Or is our actions just the natural consequence of their actions? Maybe it has nothing to do with forgiveness at all. Maybe the natural consequences of them harming us in us avoiding and leaving them. Maybe its as natural of a consequence as failing is when we've ignored our school work. It's just what happens when someone sins.

Moses on the mountain as he's looking over the promised land which he will never enter, is presented with what seems to be the consequences of his action at Meribah. Or maybe its the price he pays for an unforgivable sin. For whatever reason, Moses there is told the reason why he's being held back. God says:
"After you have seen it, you too will be gathered to your people, as your brother Aaron was, for when the community rebelled at the waters in the Desert of Zin, both of you disobeyed my command to honor me as holy before their eyes." (These were the waters of Meribah Kadesh, in the Desert of Zin.). (Numbers 27:13-14)
Now I've read the story of Moses at the waters in the Desert of Zin and it doesn't seem Moses did anything so wrong there. Yes, he disobeyed the literal words of God. Yes, he struck the stone instead of speaking to it. But maybe it was a mistake. Maybe he didn't mean to do it. Maybe he was so burned out and frustrated with everything that was happening that he just had to lash out. It happens...right?

And what about all the years that Moses did exactly what God wanted him to do. I mean he didn't want to go in the first place. And he went. He didn't want to love and care for the people but he did. What about all the positive things Moses did beside this one negative thing? They must count for something.

And isn't God a God of forgiveness and mercy anyway? "Slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and ready to relent in punishing."?? Isn't that who God is??

So why is Moses being burdened with this crazy sin? Why at the end of his journey does he get held back because of this??

I really can't say. Maybe not entering the promised land is a natural consequence of disobeying God at  the waters of Meribah. Maybe God isn't quite as forgiving as we think he is. Maybe Moses did indeed commit the unforgivable sin.

I can't wrap my head around this story. But I do know this. I believe in the power of forgiveness. Forgiveness starts with God. God has forgiven us. I believe, despite what this story may suggest, that God is "gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness." And God is ready to forgive at a moment's notice.

As a Christian I see that forgiveness in Jesus and the way Jesus forgives others. I see through Jesus that same forgiveness in God and I believe that in Jesus we experience the full forgiveness of sins.

And I am challenged to be better than even God in this story. To truly forgive others and let them into my heart, into my promised land, even when they have committed an unforgivable sin.

Maybe that's the point of this after all. To challenge us with the limits we place on our own forgiveness. Natural consequence or unforgivable sin, we've gotta let go!

Help me to forgive my neighbors and mean it, reflecting that forgiveness in what I say and do around them. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment