Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sibling Rivalry


Once when Jacob was cooking some stew, Esau came in from the open country, famished. He said to Jacob, "Quick, let me have some of that red stew! I'm famished."...Jacob replied, "First sell me your birthright." Genesis 25:30-31

Sibling Rivalry
By Rev. William Dohle


I can't believe it! I just can't believe it!

My little brother Samuel turned 30 this past week. The little boy who use to carry around his teddy bear everywhere he went is entering his 30's! Boy I feel old!

As I was congratulating him over the phone this past weekend, I thought back at the years we were growing up...and the rivalries that we had.

Samuel and I loved each other growing up. Or at least that's how I remember it. Talk to Samuel and he'll tell you stories of how I teased him as a kid. How he and my sister teamed up against me whenever our parents left me in charge. And how I would threaten them: "I'm gonna tell Mom!"

I remember those times too...vaguely...though my memory is selective in some areas. You see, I remember having good reason to tell mom and dad on them! After all, he was sooo annoying as a kid!

Sibling rivalry is common, I think, in most families. There's always at least a little element of it. Every sibling wants to be the favorite sibling. Every child wants that special attention. And the competition is on which one will win out over the rest. I saw it in my family growing up...and I see it my children now.

Of course that's nothing new. Sibling rivalries have been happening since time began. One of the most famous rivalries was between Esau and his brother, Jacob. These twins, born to Rebekah and Isaac, were fighting straight out of the womb. Their parents didn't help matters any. Strong Esau became the favorite of Isaac while timid Jacob became the favorite of Rebekah.

The two brothers culminated their rivalry in two incidents that changed their birthrights forever. The first happened when, in a fit of stupidity, Esau gave the birthright to Jacob for a bowl of stew. The second happened when their father was on his deathbed, about to give his blessing, and Jacob, with his mother's help, disguised himself as his brother, Esau to steal the blessing.

Talk about sibling rivalry! I know I wasn't that harsh to my brother.

But God works through and in even our most deceptive moments. Jacob, the weakling, goes on to carry on the line of his grandfather, Abraham. Jacob is the one who wrestles with God in the desert. Jacob sees the angels. And, in the end, it is Jacob who fathers what becomes the twelve tribes of Israel.

And the rivalry he has with his brother? Well, God has things work out for good there too. After all, you can't be angry with your brother forever!

So if you are blessed to have siblings, rejoice! Rejoice with them in their triumphs and struggles. Rejoice in all the rivalries you use to have. Rejoice that God has given you the wonderful gift of brothers and sisters. (And if you never had siblings...well rejoice as well! For you never had to deal with any of the rivalry mess we had!)

Rejoice and ponder all that God has done, and will do, with the relationships you were born into.

Heavenly Father, we are connected to our siblings, those in blood and those in faith. Inspire in us your grace that we might see your hand at work, even in the midst of our rivalries, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment