Monday, May 9, 2011

In Matthew's Steps: No Other Way


The First Steps: Read: Matthew 25

Focus Verse: “And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.’” (v. 40)

Meditation: No Other Way

I get lost. Frequently.

I have a hard time traveling from point A to point B without turning around at least twice in the meantime. I’m not sure where this tendency comes from or when it began. I just know that GPS has been my friend, but even with the computer telling me when to turn and where to go, I often get lost in the meantime.

Most confusing of all is the fact that there is always, without fail, more than one way to travel anywhere you want to go. Do you go down Main Street or Hill Avenue? Do you take the freeway or the frontage road? Do you go the direct route or the indirect route? With so many trails to follow, how do you decide?

In faith we might think there are many ways to go there too...but there really aren’t. Whatever direction you take, there is only one road that goes all the way through...that road is grace.

Today Jesus tells three parables about grace and particularly what happens when you refuse grace.

The first parable, the wise and foolish bridesmaids, features two groups of women: one who brings extra oil to wait for the groom. The other who doesn’t. The one who brings extra oil are ready for the groom when he comes late. The other group doesn’t. The other group, the foolish ones, have to run out to the store for more oil and in doing so, misses out on the groom’s entrance. They are left outside.

So...why are they foolish? Is it because they have no extra oil? Or...maybe another reason.

Maybe the foolish women are foolish because they believe the groom cares. What if the groom cared only nothing for whether they had oil in the lamps or not? What if the groom cared if the women only believed in his grace and were waiting for him just as they are? What if it were their false image of the groom that left them stranded outside?

Grace is the only way...

This theme comes to light too in the second parable. The familiar story of the talents. Three servants are given talents. Two use them wisely. One hoardes it and doesn’t. In the end, when the accounts come to bear, two are commended and one is thrown out on his head.

Why again does this happen? Is it the foolish stewartship of the servant? Or maybe... Maybe it’s the false image of the master.

When confronted by the Master, the last servant says: “Master, I knew you were a harsh man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not scatter seed; so I was afraid...”(vs. 24-25a).

What was his mistake? His fear! Exactly! And because he doesn’t believe in the grace of his master... because he doesn’t believe that his master will commend him no matter what he does...the servant hides the coin and returns it in fear and loathing of the master.

God is a God of grace!

Finally, the last parable about the end judgement is again all about grace. Only this time its grace given, not by God, but by the nations on peoples who are the least of them. In this parable, the righteous are commended for offering grace and the unrighteous condemned for not. What’s striking here is the surprise both parties have. They both ask the same question: “When Lord?” And the Son of Man answers them both...

It was when you offered...or didn’t offer...grace!

If grace is the only way...which I believe it is! And If God is a God of grace...which I believe He is. And if God cares most about how we offer grace to others...which I believe He does... How does that change us? How does that change how we deal with others? How we see God? How does this change the way we view everything around us?

There is only one way to go. That way is grace. Grace, found in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, that says: “I love you...no matter what?! I don’t care how much oil you have...come and see me! I don’t care what you’ve done with your life...I love you! I’m not interested in how good you are... I’m interested in how much you care and love and show grace to the least of my children. Grace is all that matters in the end.”

May these words disturb you, challenge you, and ultimately save you by the grace of Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


Questions to Ponder...

1) Does grace comfort you? Or disturb you?

2) What does it mean to say that you are on the same ground as every other child of God? Does grace make you equal in worth to the Pope? Or Mother Theresa?

3) How can you show and share grace to others around you? Where is God calling you?

A Prayer to Pray...
Almighty God, I believe you are a God of grace who shows mercy and compassion to the world through your Son. Give me that mercy and compassion. Help me show and share your grace and mercy to all, through your Son Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment